Have you ever coveted those expensive herbal beauty products you can only find at luxury spas, or walked into cosmetic stores just to leave with samples they give out for free?
Many times, I get sticker shock at the prices advertised in magazines and stores but still want to pamper myself and my skin.
I started looking into what actually goes into herbal beauty products and realized I could make them myself. With just a handful of ingredients, I can now treat myself to monthly at-home spa days.
From face masks to moisturizers I will show you just how easy it is to recreate your favorite herbal beauty products. When treating yourself to an herbal beauty spa day remember that drinking plenty of water also plays a large part in healthy and hydrated skin.
1. Shiny Hair Rinse
Instead of paying for a “Gloss Treatment” at your next salon appointment, you can make your very own chemical free herbal beauty “shiny hair rinse” and surprise your stylist at your next visit.
2 tablespoons lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
6 drops chamomile essential oil (optional)
1 cup water
- Combine and mix all ingredients
- Shampoo and rinse hair as usual
- Gently pour onto hair and massage thoroughly – about 1 minute
- Rinse with water (as cold as you can stand)
*If you are concerned about the lemon lightening your hair just omit and double the apple cider vinegar.
2. Milk Bath for Smooth Skin
Milk baths are an easy and inexpensive way to treat your skin. It will sooth even the most abused skin.
Warm water – fill bath half full
1-liter milk – I like to use almond milk
½ cup argon oil or any carrier oil (optional)
1 cup dried rose petals (optional)
- Fill your bathtub halfway with warm water
- Pour in milk and oil
- Pour 1 cup of dried rose petals
- Gently mix ingredients around with hand
- Rinse with warm to cool water
3. Simple Herbal Beauty Face Steam
Herbal facial steams open clogged pores and stimulate circulation. I would not recommend them for people with mature, sensitive, or dry skin. herbal steams can irritate the skin and are not necessary.
However, for those that are interested they can be quite relaxing.
Dried herbs for facial steam – Chamomile, lavender, rose, comfrey, calendula, lemon balm, peppermint, sage, rosemary, basil, or thyme
2 quarts boiling hot water
½ cup choice of dried herbs
- Bring water to a boil in large stainless-steel pot
- Add ½ cup dried herbs to boiling water
- Remove from heat and cover for about two minutes
- Place pot low to the ground where it will not spill
- Place large towel over head and pot. Face should be 10-12 inches above the pot (*caution, keep a safe distance away from boiling water)
- Steam face for five minutes, lift head when needed to comfortably breath. The herbal infusion will open your pores and provide a deep cleanse
- Rinse or gently scrub your face, and then splash with cool water to close your pores.
4. Dry Brushing
Also known as Roman Dry Brushing, this at-home treatment will stimulate your lymphoid system and make you feel rejuvenated.
Dry brushing helps to scuff off dry skin and leave you a glow if used consistently. It is best if you use a bristle brush made from natural material
Before showering use the brush in a sequence that will stimulate and help with blood flow. Start with your extremities and move towards the torso and heart in a circular motion.
Finish with a warm shower. It is important to note that you may experience itching, but gradually, overtime, your skin will become less sensitive. Brush once a day or when able. *Do not use on face.
5. Herbal Paraffin Hand and Foot Treatment
Paraffin wax is a colorless odorless material (wax) that salons often use in treatments to soften hands, feet, heels, and elbows.
The wax will make your skin feel smoother and even reduce pain from arthritis.
You can easily find a paraffin wax machine online, making it easier than some treatments to find.
The added essential oil will make you feel like you just left a high-end salon.
2 lbs. Paraffin wax
15 drops vitamin E oil
½ cup avocado oil, or any carrier oil
6 drops Frankincense essential oil
6 drops sage essential oil
- On low heat mix the paraffin wax and avocado oil until melted (should be 140 – 170 degrees F.
- Turn off paraffin machine or take off heat
- Double dip hands, feet, heels, or elbows one at a time
- Allow the wax to air dry
- Dip your hands again with outstretched fingers and place saran wrap or insulated glove for about 20 minutes
- Remove the wax from hands and enjoy
6. Cleopatra’s Body Wrap
Cleopatra is known the world over for her sensuality and controversial relationships. While she didn’t always make the best choices when it came to love, she did know a thing or two about seduction, and how to use it.
More than likely, she was not the ideal beauty Elizabeth Taylor portrayed her as in the 1963 movie “Cleopatra” instead, she used her intelligence and irresistible charm; not to mention scent.
This body wrap has the essential oils she is known to have used. Giving anyone the ability to smell like the queen herself. You may want to enlist a trusted friend.
2 cups olive oil
8 drops rose essential oil
3 drops each of Frankincense, neroli, cypress essential oil
- In a squirt bottle, combine the essential oils with the olive oil, shake thoroughly
- Roman dry brush, or preferred body exfoliant
- While standing in a warm steam room (shower, or bedroom), knead the mixed essential oil into the skin all over body – avoid face and neck
- Encase your legs in cellophane, beginning with the toes and working up the thighs and working your way up your arms, and around torso
- Relax for 20 minutes – I prefer to lay in bathtub with a pillow
- Remove the wrap, shower with warm water, then cold water to stimulate blood flow
7. Potato Eyes
This simple treatment is great to treat puffy eyes, and all you need is a potato.
1 thinly sliced potato
Wet eyes with cool water and place enough slices to cover each eye. Wait ten minutes for best results.
8. Face Peel for Acne Prone Breakouts
If you have sensitive skin or are prone to breakouts this facial peel will make all the difference. The secret is in the combination of natural herbal infusions and juice.
1 gelatin package, unflavored
1/3 cup chamomile herbal infusion
1/3 cup pure tomato juice
- Pour all ingredients except gelatin into glass container
- Add and dissolve gelatin
- Heat mixture in a double boiler on low heat, about one minute
- Refrigerate the mixture for thirty minutes
- Spread on your face and allow to dry
- Peel off mask
- Rinse face with cool water
9. Golden Beauty Face Mask
If you are looking for a face mask that will give you a bit of a glow. The Golden Beauty face mask will brighten your day.
2 Tbsp. Quinoa or millet powder (can use whole wheat flour in a pinch)
4 tsp. Greek yogurt
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp turmeric hydrosol
- Mix or whisk all ingredients until thick and well combined
- Apply to face and let dry for 10 minutes
- Wash face and apply favorite oil (almond, avocado, argon oil)
I love how relaxed I feel when going to a spa or high-end salon. These 9 herbal beauty treatments will leave you with that spa-like experience without hurting your pocketbook.
To enhance your experience, try to prepare as many ingredients as you can beforehand. Use products you would likely see at high-end spas like, fluffy towels, brew some herbal tea, light your favorite candles, and just enjoy the day.
While I enjoy a relaxing day at home with treatments I personally made, I know it is not always possible to do so, which is why we have beauty products we can buy. Here are my FIVE favorite brands that make natural herbal beauty products:
If you are just getting started with at-home spa treatments be sure to check the 15 Herbal Home Spa Utensils You Can’t Live Without.